My darling Kyla Bella, it seems like just yesterday that you were placed in my arms for the very first time. Though even just saying that also feels totally ridiculous because you are EIGHT today and it’s impossible that it can feel like yesterday.
And yet it does. Time is a funny old thing.
Since those very first moments in that hospital bed gazing down at your sweet little face, you have had my heart. Your presence in this World has changed me. Fundamentally. Inherently. Eternally.
But this post isn’t about me, it’s about you.
So I want to talk about all the things you’re currently doing that make me know that you’re ready to turn eight.
- You are a total pain to wake up in the mornings. What even is getting ready for school on time? In fact if I had to base your age on this alone you’d easily be 15 year old me.
- When getting to decide what clothing you’re going to wear for the day you choose to wear jeans. Having had to fight you to wear them for the last 4 years I feel like this is a massive turning point in your life.
- Yesterday when I asked how you wanted to celebrate the last day of being 7, you asked to watch Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone.
- The fact that you are brave enough to willingly stand up in front of a massive crowd and perform your ballet. This astounds me every time. It takes so much courage. And you’ve got it.
- Being able to acknowledge the things that you are good at and the things that need a little extra effort. But more important, being willing to put in that effort.
- The details in your artworks, the things that you have picked up in conversation etc that you incorporate into your pictures. I love it.
- Your quirky little things – like going to bed with fluffy earmuffs on, or comforting your sister (who was scared) by having her jump into bed with you or making me wear an apron when I cook so that I don’t mess up my clothes.
Girl, you know there is so much more that I could list here, but I honestly just can’t keep thinking about all the reasons that you are so big when you will always be my little girl.
I freaking love you chick, always have and always will.