We’ve been having such great weather in Cape Town for the last couple of days. Usually that would imply that it was sunny right? But nope, I’m talking about cold, dark and slightly rainy days! It’s been wonderful. Unfortunately it’s not going to last and we need a way to cope for when those Summer feeling days come rushing back.
This giveaway is sponsored by Soda Stream
After a long day of work, running around doing lifts for the kids and then painfully making our way through the homework, I look forward to chilling in the evening. There are many ways that we chill, but one of my favourites on a hot day is to make something refreshing to drink.
I’m not entirely sure when it happened, but two out of three of my children started drinking carbonated soda’s and loving them. But we are pretty hectic about drinking very sugary drinks and don’t allow them the luxury very often. Which means when they see me drinking something fun and delicious, they want in!
So when Soda Stream got in touch with me to review their Soda Stream Source with only 50% of the sugar content of normal drinks, I knew I had to try it. If not for the health of my children, then for the nostalgia of my own childhood. Growing up I was responsible for taking everyone’s flavour orders and bringing the drinks to the table after using our Soda Stream to make them wonderfully bubbly. Cream soda was and always will be my all time favourite flavour!
The new Soda Stream machine looks great and delivers on bubbliness. So aside from the standard flavours, here’s what we have been using our machine to make.
4 Refreshing Drinks To Make At Home
We have been using our Soda Stream to make the sparkling water and lemonade in all these recipes.
Dressed Up Water
A great way to get the kids to drink more water is to dress it up a little bit. Make it exciting and fancy looking and they are all over it! This one is probably the easiest because you literally just need the following:
- Chilled water to use in the Soda Stream
- Fruit of choice
We muddle the fruit a bit (squish it to release the flavours) then add the sparkling water. Easy peasy!
My Mom doesn’t drink at all. But occasionally she enjoys a little beer shandy for which you can use alcoholic or non-alcoholic beer. I’m not a beer person, but I can see that this would be a super refreshing drink.
- 225ml Lemonade flavoured Soda Stream water
- 25ml alcoholic or non-alcoholic beer
Pour the two together and voila! Drink ready!
On the days where I want to indulge in a glass or two of wine but don’t want to suffer the effects, a wine spritzer if a great solution. It’s a refreshing combination of your choice of wine and sparkling water. A great way to cut calories, reduce your alcohol consumption, or just conserve your wine supply at parties.
- 200ml wine of your choice
- 100ml Soda Stream water (chilled)
- Fruit of your choice
A very easy combination to add together. Add slices of fruit to add a bit of a zing or extra complimentary flavour.
A Twist On The Classic Gin & Tonic
It’s taken me a long time to enjoy Gin. And I think that’s because I generally don’t enjoy the tonic that comes with it. But the thing is, it doesn’t have to have any tonic in it. Gin can go with a multitude of things. I like to naturally flavour mine with a variety of fruit and herbs.
- Shot of Gin
- Chilled Soda Stream water
- Crushed ice
- Some great combinations of fruity flavours:
- Mango and black berry
- Pomegranate, lime and mint (You’ll need pomegranate juice as well as the rubies)
- Blackberry, mint and lemon
- Grapefruit and basil
WIN A SODA STREAM SOURCE WORTH R2 000!
- You need to enter through the Rafflecopter widget below
- The prize cannot be exchanged for cash or anything else in the Soda Stream range
- The colour of the prize may differ to those in the pictures
- PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU ACTUALLY DO ALL THE STEPS THAT YOU TICK OR YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. Sorry to shout at you like that but apparently it’s necessary. Just play by the rules and stuff.
- You need to live in SA or have a South African delivery address
- If you have won a giveaway on 3 Kids, 2 Dogs and 1 Old House in the last 6 months, you may not enter