Welcome back to another installment in our new series – I’m A Mom With Tattoos. In case you have missed the last couple, don’t forget to check them out here.
I hope that you are having a fabulous Human Rights Day and long weekend. Today is extra special for us because not only do we get a day off, but we also get to celebrate 7 years of being married. I can’t believe that this time last year I was getting my make up done, lacing up my dress, adjusting my garter and being whisked away to marry the man that I am still do deeply in love with today. It’s been the most challenging and rewarding 7 years and I wouldn’t change them for anything.
Even if you didn’t get a chance to sleep in or your holiday was still not exactly how you planned it, I hope that you are still able to find some time today to get your cup of the good stuff and take a break with this weeks post. Today we get to meet the lovely Megan who has so many tattoos I lost count. I love getting to know the meaning behind them all.
Your name: Megan Hartwig, also known as Meg’s. Don’t have a blog but you can reach me on Twitter: @flutterbymegs and Instagram: flutterbymegs
Your age: 31 years old
Your Occupation: I work as a P.A/Secretary for Specialist Doctors
A Mom’s favourite thing to do is talk about their children – tell us about your family:
I am a single mother who live’s in East London, Eastern Cape with my gorgeous daughter Zoe & immensely crazy family, as well as our troop of rowdy Daschunds.
If you work, tell us a bit more about your working environment – are you regularly in contact with new “clients/public”: In my line of work, which is in the Medical field we deal a lot with Medical reps, Doctors and patients so I am constantly in contact with all sorts of new people each and every day.
1. Butterfly – Foot- Represents/ symbolize my freedom/independence and crossing a milestone in my life.
2. Butterfly – Lower back – represents that 1) it is a symbol of my newly found freedom 2) I “grew” as a person or just “grew” in any other category, and 3) I like butterflies.
3. Vine – Foot – Vines were also commonly used in ancient Christian art. The vine represents strength, power and good luck to me.
4. Music note – Ankle- Symbolizes a song in my heart.
5. Never a failure always a lesson – on both wrist(split in half) – it represents or symbolizes to me that instead of seeing a failure in a negative way and simply regarding it as such, you should try to learn from it and turn it into a lesson.
6. Flower – stomach – Represent or symbolizes to me to always look, see and admire the beauty the world has to offer.
7. Sanskrit saying “Be at Peace not in Pieces” – Forearm – means to feel peaceful and complete, not devastated and “broken”, to be strong and not crumble to pieces.
8. Strength – Ribcage- Reminds me each and every day that I am strong enough!
9. Mother/Daughter symbol with 4 x birds – Wrist – This tattoo represents the love and bond my daughter and I share and the 4 x birds flying off of it represent the rest of my family who consists of my Father, Mother, Brother and Sister.
10.“Omnia vincit amor” latin saying for “Love conquers all” – hip/waist – no matter how I feel, how hard life is I can always count on Love from my Family, Friends or child to get me through a difficult situation.
How old were you when you got your first tattoo: I was 18 years old when I got my first tattoo, which was a butterfly on my lower back.
Which tattoo is your favourite and why? Do I just have to choose one?!? If I had to choose one it would definitely be my “Amor Vincit Omnia” tattoo… Which means, “Love Conquers All”. It’s my favourite because no matter how I feel, how hard life is I can always count on Love from my Family, Friends or child to get me through a difficult situation and all I have to do is just look down on my waist/lower hip to be reminded of this.
Do you plan on getting more? Of course!!!! I am a canvas of my experiences. My story is etched in lines and shading and you can read it on my arms, feet, back and stomach.
How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? My Family and friends accept my tattoo’s and they see it as a beautiful feature of me.
Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed? Take a friend or family member with you. It does help. They’re there to keep you calm. While they’re doing the tattoo, RELAX! You’ll forget that it’s happening until the artist stops. Don’t mess with the tattoo once it’s done, and be sure to keep it clean and dry. ALSO! If it’s hurting to the point where you can’t bare it, find an aloe plant and put some of the goo on it. It’s natural and won’t clog your pores.