Welcome back to my favourite series!
I’m glad that you’re back to read the next installment. Here are the other features in case you want to catch up.
Here’s a little bit of background as to why I want to do this series and why I want YOU to read it and share it with your friends. Besides the odd intentional racist, I feel like a lot of the hurtful comments floating around are actually just brought about through ignorance about how their words will affect other people. Thinking only of our own personal situations with little regard for others, because that’s all that we know. So in an effort to broaden what we know, I thought I would interview a wide range of South Africans that have a variety of different situations – from mixed race couples to single race couples that adopt cross racially to couples that share the same “race” but differ vastly in terms of culture. A bit of a mumble jumble of everything really.
So let’s get started!
If you would like to join in and be featured in this series or know of someone that would, please feel free to get in touch with me on firstname.lastname@example.org.
I want this to be a safe space where we can share stories and encourage each other to be more accepting of our fellow South Africans of all races, cultures and situations. So while I want to encourage you to comment and open a discussion, I will not tolerate any abusive or troll like comments here.
- Tell us a little bit about yourself – what you do, what you like to spend your time on etc
- Tell us a little bit about your partner – what they do, what they like to spend time on etc
- Give us a bit of insight into your racial/cultural backgrounds.
- Where do you live? Does how you are “accepted” change when you visit different places?
- Tell us all about your kids – brag a bit – it’s OK 😉
- How do you and your partner view race in your relationship? What kind of role does it play in your family? Does it even feature?
- Are there big differences in your marriage relationship that are affected by your heritage/culture?
- How have your families reacted to your relationship?
- What kind of experiences have you or your partner had when you have been out with your kids (alone with them or together as a family)?
- What are some of the ignorant and hurtful things that have been said to you and your husband about this issue?
- What do you think we can do to combat this ignorance/stupidity?
- Did you have any fears about parenting mixed race children before you had them? Have any of those fears changed since becoming a Mommy/Daddy to kids with mixed genes?
- Do you have any advice for those new to this experience?