We recently spent a couple of nights out at Frog Mountain (close to Swellendam) to celebrate a friends 30th birthday.
Instead of spending lots of money celebrating a birthday by having just one night of great food, entertainment and good friends, Brian decided to treat his friends to a weekend away. Such a flipping good idea – then you get to enjoy each others company for a whole weekend instead of just one night AND you get to take the kids with and enjoy it as a family too.
I feel like I should steal this idea for my 30th – thanks Brian!
Unfortunately the weather wasn’t great so we didn’t get to make full use of what the venue had – a massive grass patch in front of the house, a swimming pool overlooking the pastures and mountain, a play park for the kids and a river with canoes and a “foefie slide”. But we made sure that we got out as much as we could! Also the house was actually perfect for bleak weather – massive stoep with a fire place outside (and inside too) and a bigish lounge area to chill and chat in.
We spent the days braaing, drinking hot coffee, watching the cows live their best life in the pasture in front of the house, throwing rugby balls, eating big breakfasts, watching the kids enjoy themselves, playing hide and seek (Knox nailed this – you won’t spot him in those pictures below), making potjies and in the evenings when we got the kids to bed, we played a cool game called Avalon (I think). I won’t go into it too much, but there’s good guys and bad guys and bad guys pretending to be good guys and it was really fun to play. Seth and I were bad together once and completely nailed it! So fun.
It was such a great time away – here’s to the next one, and a hearty HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY BRIAN!
Like what you’ve read here? That’s flipping awesome – feel free to share it with your friends. Also come hang out with me on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram where you can expect to find a whole lot more of this, just shorter.
Other places that we have visited around the Western Cape of South Africa:
- McGregor – If I could move anywhere, this would be it!!
- Paternoster – At Gelukkie, a two night getaway without our kids
- Stellenbosch – I love it there!!
- Houw Hoek Inn – I’ve lost count of the amount of times we’ve been there, in fact the kids go there for a night every holiday (with their Grandparents)! Another time we were there.
- Hermanus – Also a regular holiday spot.
- Grabouw – If you’re going there you need to stay at the Old Mac Daddy
- We also went to Ceres and that was amazing – one of my most memorable holidays.