A little while back we journeyed all the way from Cape Town up to Kimberley. Why would we travel such a great distance? Well, it was because we set our hearts on the most beautiful camper we had ever seen. A 1978 VW Jurgens Campervan still in most of it’s original condition (the original leather seats! I die).
Many of you, who may have seen the updates on Instagram or Facebook, might have wondered what the hell we were doing. Have we completely lost our minds buying a van from the 70’s? What was our plan? What are we going to do with it?
Well, for those of you that follow along through our newsletter, you’ll know that this has been brewing for a long time. If you are one of our friends and family, you would have heard us talking about it for a while too. And the thought probably crossed your mind that you may be friends with complete nut jobs. Thank you for sticking with us despite the fact that you are indeed friends with us weirdos.
But all that aside, we’re finally ready to openly share our big news on the internet machine. And it gives me goosies just typing this out…
We are going to be packing up our lives, stuffing it into our campervan and travelling South Africa for a year!
Say what now?
Yeah I know. It’s a lot to take in.
What you are thinking now (and probably more) was going around my head about 6 or 8 months ago when Seth originally mentioned his thoughts to me. In fact my first reaction was a flat out “Hell NO!”. I honestly thought I was imminently going to have to book Seth in to see someone to fix his head.
But slowly and then surprisingly quickly, I really warmed up to the idea. Which, if you know me, is a pretty big deal. It took quite a lot of chatting to both Seth, my friends and fam, and lots of research. And now we’re going to be packing up our lives possessions and heading out to see the World on 1 July.
Pretty freaking crazy huh?
So there is a lot of reasons that we’re doing this and my blog post would literally go on forever, so let me share this video we made instead. It’s a bit long, yes. BUT it should answer all the burning questions, like the obvious one – WHY?! Also – How?! Where?! In what?! What about the kids?! What about the dogs?! It’s all there.
Make yourself a cuppa and settle in…
Obviously we are going to be sharing a lot of the journey as it happens, so make sure to keep an eye on some of our social platforms:
- The Alfreenos Instagram: This will hopefully be one of those pretty accounts. You know the ones I’m talking about right? Where everything looks cohesive and awesome. It will include the bulk of our adventures but from the pretty angle.
- The ModernDadDIY Instagram: This is where Seth will be chronicling all of his progress while we revamp the camper. We literally have to strip it and start again. SO exciting to see how this all turns out!
- The Cindy Alfino Instagram: This is not going to change in any way – this will continue to be where we share snaps of real life as it happens. I don’t think I’ll ever manage to make it all look cohesive and pretty and I’m totally OK with that!
- The Seth Alfino Instagram: Again, another really personal account of our adventures, but from Seth’s perspective. We’ll try and upgrade his phone before we leave so the camera quality is better haha.
- The YouTube Channel: We will be creating a lot more video content – DIY posts of old Optimus getting his transformation, the places we visit, the things we get up to and maybe even vlog style of every day life.
- Then lastly our Facebook Page: A round up of all of the above – so if you aren’t really down with Instagram or YouTube you should still be able to stay up to date with what’s going on, if you want to of course.
If you have any questions, I would LOVE to answer them, so feel free to pop them in the comments – I promise to answer every single one. Always directly in the comment, but maybe in a full blog post if necessary too.